Friday, May 27, 2011

Some Old, Some New

      Yet again it has been awhile since my last update. I had finals to finish up for school and little energy left to do much else. This go around I did a double dose of Femara which I was smart enough to take at night so I didn’t pass out for hours during the middle of the day. That was the old part – taking some pills for 5 days. The new part – injections. I was rather anxious about this part. Even though my husband is a paramedic the office insisted I come in to learn how to give them to myself. It wasn’t anything that Jeremy had not already told me or I had not read and it was a ridiculous waste of money. Nothing I can do about that now. When it came time for the first shot Jeremy was not home and I was working on a paper due later that day which made me even more nervous. Jeremy walked me thorough it on the phone and I was so shaken up that I spilled the dissolvent, it felt like it took me forever to get the medication mixed. When it came time to actually inject, I hung up the phone and said a quick prayer. I worked myself up so much that when it was actually over I thought “That’s it?” Thankfully Jeremy was able to do the next couple so I was more comfortable with them by the time I had to fly solo. We had our normal ultrasound on Friday. I have to thank my doctor’s office again because they squeezed me in between patients because they know how important it is that it is done on specific days and early so the results can be faxed to my RE. I tried not to get myself too excited and at first I really thought it was not going to end well. There were less follicles than previously but there were larger so that was good, but the ones on the right ovary were not quite “ripe.” However, on the left we had one that was just the size we like to see 20 mm. That meant one more shot, the trigger shot. Now we wait yet again.
      On a related note I would like to draw attention to Family Act of 2011, a Senate bill create to aid families with infertility cost, specifically IVF. You can find more information here. I encourage you to contact you Senators and ask for their support of this bill, because 1 and 8 couples suffer from infertility and that means someone you know is living with this daily.
      Also a well know infertility advocate was feature on the Boston news, discussing the fact that infertility does not only affect older women. You can find the video here. I like to point out her correction; she still needs to save $18,000 for her IVF cycle with an egg donor not $1,800 as the segment says.       

No comments:

Post a Comment