Sunday, April 3, 2011

Plan C?


Well, this past week brought a lot of things to consider. We finally saw the reproductive endocrinologist on Monday. I was a nervous wreck, my digestive track was unhappy with me and my blood pressure was through the roof. I have to thank my wonderful friend, Michelle, for making the journey with us. Without her, I probably would have completely lost it in the waiting room and won’t be able to remember much of what the doctor told us. For most the most part we got promising news. The doctor said that my pervious care had been excellent, which made his job a little easier. There are three things that can be problematic when attempting to conceive: 1) sperm 2) eggs and 3) blocked tubes. We know for sure it is not 1 or 3 so it the eggs, something we already knew. He said we could try to figure out the exactly reason why this is but it wouldn’t really make any difference in treatment. As we have already attempted the first option he would use, he indicated if our current cycle was not successful we would move on to Femara. It is a drug that is marketed for breast cancer but has also show to be effective in fertility treatments because of the way it suppresses hormones. One bonus is no side effects like Clomid. We will do up to two cycle of this medication, one on a low dose and one higher. If those are unsuccessful we would move on to injectables. The only problem with injected medication is that the risk of multiples would be increased, something that my body may not be able to handle well. With both of these treatments we would continue with the ultrasounds and trigger shots. He is pretty confident that once we are able to get my follicles to grow at an acceptable rate, we will get pregnant rather quickly. In fact he was hopeful that this cycle would be it. Even though we did not really get any answers we didn’t already know, it was encouraging.     
            A couple days later I went back to the herbalist and after looking at my charts she was really hopeful that this would be our time as well. Everything went as well as it could this month. Needless to say, I was getting pretty excited. That excitement was short lived, as I started to feel the onset of my cycle. The tests indicated my anticipation, that this was not yet our time. And I’ll have to admit that my coping strategy was to check out, I have not dealt with reality for the past couple days. To be honest I don’t what more to say because I have not thought much about it. I just know it means we are moving on to plan C, Femara and another round of hope.       

No comments:

Post a Comment